The CSTB Telecom&Media forum
Yuriy Korchuganov, MGAP Junior Partner and Head of TMT Practice, took a part in the CSTB Telecom&Media forum.
Yuriy spoke about content compliance for distribution in Russia:
- Core legal issues (penal and administrative consequence, child protection legislation, specific requirements for advertisement content)
- Different requirements for mass media organisations (TV, newspapers, etc.) and others (cinema theatres, websites, online stores, VOD, etc.)
- Ongoing development of restrictions depending on the current social and political environment.
Who does the present legislation on content affect?
Producers and rights’ holders:
- Assessment of the Russian market as a platform for distribution
- Cost and time efficient adaptation of content in accordance with local requirements and restrictions (mainly language, product placement, age labelling)
- Fulfilment of contractual obligations regarding content with local distributors, where applicable.
Mass media organisations:
- Strict restrictions on content distributed via mass media
- Toughening-up of legislation on mass media and enforcement practice (restriction of commercials on pay TV; limitation of shares in non-Russian entities and individuals in Russian mass media organisations, etc.)
- Two warning letters from the regulatory authority within a year are grounds for termination of business for a mass media organisation.
Pay TV channels:
- Product placement, cross-promo campaigns and other indirect advertisements on pay TV are considered to be in breach of the law.
For further information please contact:
Partner, TMT Practice